Sierra Leone Surf Expedition
Are you ready to travel to one of the last modern frontiers of surfing in West Africa?
25.05. - 05.06.2016
What is waiting for you?
Join us on this unique surf trip in Sierra Leone.
Get to know Sierra Leone's first and one-of-a-kind community supporting surf camp, the Bureh Beach Surf Club.
Hang loose, relax and surf at Bureh Beach, which captivates due to a consistent left-hander wave with picturesque views.
Visit the projects of our favorite NGO Street Child
BONUS: combine your trip with taking part in the one-of-a-kind Sierra Leone Marathon fundraiser on the 28th of May 2017 in Makeni. 5-day packages start at 249 Pounds/350 EUR. More details on the marathon here. Our Surf & Help team will join the marathon.
The Help Factor
- All of our activities are supporting a specific good cause and as part of this trip we are supporting the work of the UK charity Street Child active in Sierra Leone and Liberia.
- As part of the trip we will visit Street Child projects and make a donation to support their work.
- We will get hosted by the unique community project Bureh Beach Surf Club providing us with accomodation, food, transportation and surf material. As the BBSC has a community supporting business model and is community run, 100% of the revenue that is generated goes back into the community, in the form of wages, grants, school fees and the purchasing of local goods and services.
You can either only do the surf expedition or combine your stay with the unique Sierra Leone Marathon:
- Sierra Leone Surf Expedition: 29.05. - 05.06.2016
- Marthon & Surf Expedition: 25.05. - 05.06.2016
Extra days or different arrival dates are possible.
- Location: Bureh Town, Sierra Leone, West Africa. It is a good 1 hour drive from Sierra Leone's capital Freetown to this picturesque beach community.
- About the camp: The Bureh Beach Surf Club in Sierra Leone is a unique community supporting and community run organization with the aim to increase tourism in the area by offering surf lessons and board rentals as well as accommodation, food and drinks. 100% of the revenue that is generated goes back into the community, in the form of wages, grants and the purchasing of local goods and services. The surf club already employs 19 local people.
- About the accommodation: tents and beach bungalows are available.
- More details: The team of Surf & Help visited the Bureh Beach Surf Club the first time in 2012 when the project got launched. Since then we stayed in close contact with the team and visited the camp multiple times and saw the great success of this community supporting business model.
- The camp offers a full beach restaurant menu, BBQs, beach hut rental, campsite, tent rental, surfboard rental, snorkeling equipment, surf classes, etc.
- About the Street Child Marathon:
Contact us if you are interested and like to receive more information
- Just use the contact form, email to flo(at)street-child.co.uk or call at +34645921506.